The safety of our community and our staff is our primary concern during the COVID-19 health crisis. We’re taking steps to ensure we manage to safely get through this situation while continuing to serve our community effectively. The bulk of our staff is working from home, but know you can call (928) 778-5135 for any assistance you require. Our office is staffed Monday through Friday, 9 a. m. to 5 p.m. For Big Brothers and Sisters, parents and guardians, contact your Match Advisor with any concerns. As we move toward a new normal, we are excited for our community-based and school-based plus matches to start meeting again, in person.
Below are YBBBS’s recommendations for in-person match outings, in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control, Arizona Department of Health Services, and Yavapai County Community Health Services.
- Governor Ducey’s Stay Home, Stay Healthy, Stay Connected order expired on May 15, 2020. This means that many restrictions will be lifted and most places of business will be opening soon. It is very important to remember that if any match party (Big, Little, or Parent/Guardian) does not feel comfortable, there is no pressure from YBBBS to start in-person outings again. YBBBS wants each match to do what is best for each person. Additionally, it is important not to pressure your Little or Big to start outings if they are not comfortable. Please be considerate of the wishes of your Big or Little when it comes to in-person outings.
- If any party is ill or has been exposed to someone who is ill, even if it’s not COVID-19, the match should not start meeting until everyone is completely recovered. Also, consider your own potential risks. If you are more at-risk to develop serious symptoms or complications from COVID-19, consider delaying in-person outings. To find out if you are at higher risk, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/index.html.
- If you and your Big or Little decide to resume in-person outings, please take reasonable safety measures to keep everyone healthy. As of May 15, 2020, YBBBS’s guidelines for in-person outings include:
- Consider outdoor activities in uncrowded areas, if possible
- Avoid places where it is difficult to remain 6 feet away from other people
- Wash your hands frequently and keep hand sanitizer close by for times when hand washing is unavailable
- No physical contact, i.e. hugs, high-fives, handshakes, etc.
- Parents and Guardians should be clear about any restrictions they require and give specific approval for outings
- Bigs need to communicate exactly what the match plans to do together and let the Parent or Guardian know where the match will be going
- There should be no unscheduled stops during the outing without Parent or Guardian approval
- Per CDC guidelines, consider wearing a mask if the match is going somewhere where it will be difficult to follow social distancing guidelines
- Avoid large groups
- Stay local and consider shorter outings for the time being
- Do not include anyone else on the outings, i.e. Big’s spouse, Little’s siblings, etc.
Even though Arizona is opening up, this pandemic is still dynamic. As the situation changes, we will send you updates on agency recommendations and limitations on in-person outings. We are grateful to our Bigs and families for hanging in there during this uncertain time. If you have any questions, please call or email your Match Advisor. Stay safe, and stay healthy!